“Technology makes possibilities. Design makes solutions.” – John Maeda
Our Subject Leader for DT is Mr Cornell.
Please find our DT Long Term Plan below:
Cultural Capital and Design Technology:
- Pupils will develop key knowledge, language and an understanding of its meaning which they can readily apply to their work in DT and across the wider curriculum.
- Pupils will understand the expectations and the outcomes for each unit of work.
- Pupils will develop their perseverance to design, make, test, evaluate and amend their creations, seeing the rewards of sticking at something for its entirety.
- Pupils will develop core, analytical, problem solving and reasoning skills that can be used across the wider curriculum.
- Pupils will develop key life skills such as what makes a balanced diet as well as how to cook healthy staple meals for themselves.
Children will also have the opportunity to:
- Visit buildings and places of interest, for example Durham Cathedral, to look at the architecture.
- Take part in an engineering project to develop a Go cart in Year 6 as well as take part in model making through Meccano Club.
- Take part in young engineer projects.
- Become increasingly familiar with Design career opportunities available in the workplace